VIDEO: The Guardian UK- Robert Pattinson & David Cronenberg on ‘Cosmopolis’Cast Interview David Cronenberg Director Interview Robert Pattinson
Our notes on content….
Rob answers that he did have sympathy for the character; because he thought it was funny at the beginning, and also because he’s uncompromising with everything.
Everyone around Eric, he gives people infinite chances, just wants to test them.
But on the surface Eric seems jaded to the point of nonexistence.
Cronenberg says Eric has disconnected himself from life at least how most people live it.
In the movie, Eric’s big career success functions as this is incredible abstraction, computer [screens], philosophy that is very abstract.
Eric’s disconnected from reality and that’s really “his disease”
Rob is asked if like Eric, does wealth and power cause you to be a disconnected a bit in your life? Rob says you get a little worried about isolation and you are quite quick to judge people, but he says he doesn’t think it affects him that much.
Cronenberg talks of how Rob is in every scene and that is very unusual. So he needed someone who was proven to be charismatic.
“There’s a lot of dialogue in the movie, it requires someone who can really give that dialogue its spin, its sensuality and its textural value and not just be bland.” He’d seen other movies besides Twilight he’d done and he thought he’d be terrific.
Rob says he was a little worried at first about this movie coming out in the summer with only superhero movies in theatres. But he then laughs, and says it’s the 1% but in a good way! It’s the 1% that isn’t that! The 99% (all the rest) is the equivalent of the 1%!