VIDEO: ‘ComingSoon’: Cosmopolis clips & BTS with Cronenberg & PattinsonCast Interview David Cronenberg Director Interview Robert Pattinson Video
Film clips within are dubbed; but there is some new footage, and brief on set interviews with Pattinson and Cronenberg. Notes aren’t always exact quotes, we’ve just included to highlight content.
In the first clip:
- Pattinson speaks of how he came to get this role, how he doubted at that time he’d get anything like that, and how he was amazed he got the role, that “it seemed like a no-brainer” to do it.
- Cronenberg speaks of how Don Delillo’s novel “was prescient in terms of where the world was going with the economic crisis and the Wall Street meltdown.” He also comments on why he didn’t think it was necessary that he had to shoot the film in NY (it was filmed entirely in Toronto.)
In the second clip:
- He talked to the actors so they wouldn’t be surprised about how much takes place in a limo. He joked this this was his version of Das Boat, which took place mostly in a submarine.
- He encouraged cast to watch Lebanon, an Israeli film that takes place entirely in a battle tank.
- He could not be in the limo with the actors; talked with them over a microphone.
- For a “dialogue heavy”, and also “surreal script”, you could go anywhere with it. So “any constants you have” helps (speaking of having to stay in the limo, the seat the whole time.) otherwise “I would go completely loopy”)
- Pattinson after the first day, no one was as familiar with the limo as much as he. He was always comfortable in his seat and could “just observe whatever they were doing to figure out their performances.”
- Everyone else felt “alien in my domain.”